MASSAGE THERAPY (Currently not available)
Massage Therapy is a form of manual therapy to help promote recovery, wellbeing and higher performance.
General Benefits of Massage Therapy
- Massage therapy is able to immediately relax and calm the mind and body. The level of stress hormones such as adrenalin, cortisol and norepinephrine decrease. Your blood pressure also lowers slightly during a massage.
- Massage therapy helps to reduce tightness and tension within muscles. This in turn helps to return joint mobility and flexibility.
- Massage therapy promotes increased circulation around the body. This helps soft tissues to recover faster.
- Massage therapy has the ability to ease aches and pains to a certain extent.
- Through relaxation and reduction of aches and pains, massage therapy helps to improve our ability to rest and get some sleep!
Massage therapy itself consists of a variety of techniques and forms that are used for different purposes. These will be discussed below.
Types of Massage Therapy
Remedial Massage: More in depth compared with regular massage. A massage therapist will choose specific techniques that will be best for you, based on your chief complaints/primary problems. This form of massage is especially handy in chronic conditions or long term injuries, where ongoing management and relief from symptoms is required.
Sports Massage: Sports massage can be used to help promote circulation and enhance muscle performance prior to a sporting event. It can also aid in recovery and reducing muscle soreness after a sporting event.
Deep Tissue Massage: Deep tissue massage involves applying firmer pressure and slower strokes than normal massage, in order to reach deeper soft tissue structures. Deep tissue massage is commonly used for stiff muscles and joints, and chronic aches and pains.
Trigger Point Massage: Trigger point massage involves applying pressure over specific points where the muscle is tender and causing tightness. The muscle usually ties into a knot, which can be felt as a nodule if palpated firmly. Trigger points can often be the source of aching and tightness, and the basis of this form of massage is to reduce these symptoms by eliminating these trigger points.
Swedish Relaxation Massage: Swedish relaxation massage focuses more on calming the nervous system and improving circulation, with a secondary benefit of relaxing and reducing tension and tightness in the muscles. Also, it stimulates the lymphatic system, helping your body remove waste products a lot quicker and easier.
Our massage therapist Hiro Yuki is available every Friday and Saturday.
30 Minutes: $50
45 Minutes: $75
60 Minutes: $90
90 Minutes: $125
Note that you will be able to claim back through your health fund! The amount that you get back will vary from company to company, and also changes based on your level of cover. This information is available via your health fund provider.